I spent like half an hour on this, got tired, went out to The Curve Damansara, and tonight when I came back, tried a simple trick and it all worked.
I had a code similar to this (shortened for understanding):
1 2 3 4 5
<select id="distDst"> <option value="1">Name of the option</option> </select> <input type="button" value="getSelected" onClick="getData()"/>
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
All three browsers: IE 6, Firefox 2.0, and Opera 9.02 gave me an undefined value for the selected element (focused, of course).
When I came back, I added name="distDst" to line 01 of the first part, so Firefox and Opera agreed while IE is still stubborn. Next I enclosed the select object within form tags and IE yielded and gave me the results I want.
Sorry for the technicality. I am now implementing AJAX front-ends for my PHP codes, after I got bored with conventional PHP programming.
I forgot to mention: The problem only occurs when the dynamic select object have 1 item in the list.