International Driving Permit & JPJ Portal Joomla

I was looking for information on getting an International Driving Permit when I arrived at the new JPJ Portal. I am not sure if the portal was “developed” by a third party contractor or internally but I have a hunch that says it was built externally.

There may be other Government portals that are built on top of Open Source solutions but JPJ is obviously using Joomla. What’s worst is that the keywords used in the portal are insanely irrelevant. Obviously MP3 is not at all related to Road Transport Department!

I am not saying that it is wrong to use Open Source projects to cater for Government sites but I think if this project is external, JPJ is getting ripped off.

Changing topic to the International Driving Permit, it’s easy to get one. All you need is a passport sized photo, copy of your NRIC, copy of your driving license, and RM150. Your driving license must be valid for at least 1 year after the date of IDP application. This is also a rip off since in return I get a hand-written card with some thin paper pages in it with a few languages. I would feel ashamed to show it to the cops if I were stopped by them in a foreign country. Seriously.

A friend of mine mentioned that you don’t need an IDP if you are staying less than 3 months in the United States. I tried to find information on that but to no avail. Anyone?


2 thoughts on “International Driving Permit & JPJ Portal Joomla”

  1. Hi, I came across your website while searching for information on applying for the IDP at JPJ. me and 2 friends are going for a 2 weeks holiday in the States and are planning to drive there. Just want to know whether I still need to apply for the IDP, or can I just get JPJ to translate my licence?
    All your help is highly appreciated.

  2. Hi Natasha as I mentioned in the post I don’t know if you still need an IDP for a visit that is less than 3 months. Since you’re going for a holiday perhaps you can ask your travel agent?

    From experience of my friends and I, when stopped all they ask for is the passport and of course the car documents (provided by the rental agency).

    BTW I don’t think JPJ will translate your license, you need to have a licensed translator to do that. If the cost is more just get and IDP because it’s really easy.

Comments are closed.